Fun

Telegram Looks to Cut Deal With TON Blockchain Investors After SEC Order

News Feed - 2019-10-17 07:10:55

Telegram has notified investors that the TON blockchain project will be launched later than planned, pushing the deadline from Oct. 30 to April 30, 2020.


In an email to investors reviewed by CoinDesk, Telegram cited its recent run-in with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which obtained a restraining order prohibiting the messenger app company from launching TON and issuing gram tokens. The agency deemed grams to be unregistered securities.


The email, which was sent recently to investors in the second of Telegram’s two $850 million fundraising round from early 2018, says: “We had intended to launch the TON network in late October. However, the recent SEC lawsuit has made that timing unachievable. We disagree with the SEC’s legal position and intend to vigorously defend the lawsuit. We are proposing to extend the deadline date in order to provide additional time to resolve the SEC’s lawsuit and work with other governmental authorities in advance of the launch of the TON network.”


The additional time will be an advantage for companies working on applications for the TON network, Telegram said.


The deadline can be extended with the consent of investors holding a majority of the tokens bought in the round, the email says.


The two groups of investors, those who bought tokens in February 2018 and those who did so in March 2018, will need to approve the extension separately, and it’s possible that one group agrees to postpone while the other refuses: “In these circumstances, we propose to make certain limited amendments to the terms of the purchase agreements that remain in place to reflect the fact that fewer Grams will be issued and in circulation on the Network Launch Date.”


Investors in the second round must sign a form approving the extension before Oct. 23. If the majority chooses not to sign, these investors can get back “approximately 77 percent” of their money.


The first-round investors received “a separate communication” from Telegram, the letter says.


If the deadline is extended, Telegram plans to spend another $80 million before April 30.


“We look forward to receiving your support to ensure we can proceed with our vision for TON,” the letter concludes.


On Oct. 11, the SEC obtained an emergency restraining order to halt the launch of TON. Soon after the company notified investors it might postpone the planned end-of-October launch to resolve the situation.


A court hearing in the case is scheduled on Oct. 24 in New York.


Telegram app image via Shutterstock

News Feed

Turner Wright8 hours agoTether freezes $225M in USDT linked to romance scammers amid DOJ investigationThe stablecoin issuer reported the illicit funds had been used by a Southeast Asia-based crime syndicate responsible f
Smart Advertising Token SaTT Reveals ProBit as Next Exchange Listing
Smart Advertising Token SaTT Reveals ProBit as Next Exchange ListingSingapore, September 23, 2020– Against the predominantly dim and drab ICO backdrop, smart advertising token
Cardano’s Charles Hoskinson Signs Memorandum With Burundi Government, Agreement Questioned
Cardano"s Charles Hoskinson Signs Memorandum With Burundi Government, Agreement Questioned Cardano founder Charles Hoskinson recently confirmed he had signed a memorandum of unders
Bankrupt Crypto Firm Voyager Digital Approved to Release $270 Million in Cash Deposits
Bankrupt Crypto Firm Voyager Digital Approved to Release $270 Million in Cash Deposits The now defunct and bankrupt Voyager Digital has been approved by the court to distribute $27
US Senator Says Crypto Tax in Infrastructure Bill Is ‘Unworkable,’ Plans to Offer Amendment to Fix It
US Senator Says Crypto Tax in Infrastructure Bill Is "Unworkable," Plans to Offer Amendment to Fix It Several U.S. lawmakers have spoken up against the cryptocur
Millennium Management discloses $2B in Bitcoin ETF holdings
Tom Mitchelhill3 hours agoMillennium Management discloses $2B in Bitcoin ETF holdingsInternational hedge fund Millennium Management has reported it holds $1.94 billion across five different spot Bitcoin ETF products.2803
Blockchain Innovation Done the Polkadot Way According to Gavin Wood
Blockchain Innovation Done the Polkadot Way According to Gavin Wood In a recent Realvision interview, the developer Gavin Wood explains how Polkadot reimagines t
Spanish Soccer First Division Laliga to Be Featured in Decentraland’s Metaverse
Spanish Soccer First Division Laliga to Be Featured in Decentraland"s Metaverse Laliga, the Spanish soccer first division organization, has established a strategic partnership with
Bitcoin ETF issuer VanEck files for Solana ETF in the US
Helen Partz10 hours agoBitcoin ETF issuer VanEck files for Solana ETF in the USAccording to VanEck’s head of digital assets research, VanEck is the first company in the United States to file for a Solana ETF.5244 Total
Ana Paula Pereira4 hours agoRipple pulls back from Fortress acquisition 20 days after announcementRipple CEO Brad Garlinghouse shared the news on X, saying it will remain an investor in Fortress Trust.3176 Total views11
BIS and 7 central banks to explore asset tokenization through Project Agora
Zhiyuan Sun7 hours agoBIS and 7 central banks to explore asset tokenization through Project AgoraThe proof-of-concept projects seek to create a centralized platform for cross-border CBDC payments and tokenized money tran
Goldman Predicts US Recession Odds at 35% in 2 Years, John Mauldin Wouldn’t Be Surprised if Stocks Fell 40%
Goldman Predicts US Recession Odds at 35% in 2 Years, John Mauldin Wouldn"t Be Surprised if Stocks Fell 40% The American economy continues to look gloomy and signals pointing towar